Thursday, December 23, 2010

you're a mean one...


Shelfers- indulge me for a moment. This post isn't necessarily for you. You can read on, of course, but just know that the target of this post is not our readers- but really this is for "that person." Maybe you know one, hopefully you haven't run into one and your holiday season is much brighter for it. But if you have- let them read the following special message.

Times are tough for a lot of people; there is no denying that. However, I have noticed a good deal less good cheer and kindness out there this year. Usually, the collective we do a pretty good job of trying to get past all the bad stuff, but this year has been difficult to really see any of that. Perhaps that's a reflective statement, I grant you, but I have been looking. There is evil out there, and there are people who do bad things to others- but that should not dampen what this time of year should symbolize.

Don't get me started on traditions and Christmas not really being what we think it is and Roman feast days and such- I am a history teacher, I know all about that stuff. I knew it before many smart pants college freshmen eating Cheetos read about it on a website somewhere. I've read books about the holidays- remember those? Books? Anyway, I digress.... What I am getting at is that in the long run, none of that stuff matters. A holiday to foster good will to others, to bring back a little selflessness in the world, to bring some light into others lives? You could call it Starlight Day and I would still think it was an awesome idea. Some people can't handle the religious connection, and others can't get past their own ego and their own imperfections to allow something like Christmas to try and actually foster goodness in the world. Are you one of those people?

Yes, it's way too commercial, but that isn't always the people's fault. Yes, it is based on a celebration marking the birth of Jesus Christ and people who believe and worship him are marking a religious occasion in a supposedly religiously tolerant country- which means it is a religious holiday (don't get me started on the supposed "tolerance" part). And yes there a bajillion other traditions and stories and myths associated with the holiday that have blended, changed and fused themselves into our modern day holiday. So what? No- I mean it- so what? If someone has a problem with that, or Hanukkah, or Ramadan or Kwanza or Festivus for that matter, why do they have to set out to ruin, insult and generally poop on everyone else's special time? If you are that someone and are reading this, I ask you- what is your deal? Are you really gonna be "that person"? Stop being an ass about things. There is enough crap in the world the rest of the year; lets try and bridge the gap between goodness and needing goodness in your life. If it promotes peace and goodwill- let it be. If it fosters love and hope- let it be. If it helps people understand and to try and grow into better people- for goodness sakes, let it be. In other words, get over yourself, smile and let people have this one. You have a whole other 11 months or so to be a jerk, maybe just for this one month you can restrain your self-important, smug self and allow some more hope and peace into the world. Thank you.

OK, Shelfers, we're back. Sorry about that - had to get that off of my chest. Please go on about your Yuletide doings. Whatever holiday you celebrate this season, we wish you and your families much peace and happiness.

Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote: Stink, stank, stunk!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preach it, JC! When I lived in Canada, I didn't run around pointing out that Canadian Thanksgiving was really just Columbus day, and that holding their derivative holiday on a seperate day just seemed a little small. No, I embraced Canadian Thanksgiving, lumpy potatoes and all. Same thing in all the other countries I've lived in. I would say that I don't understand the motivation for folks to go out of their way to be jerks to folks who are wishing them well (like femenists who are angry when you hold the door open for them), but I think you nailed it.

MTFC

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin