Monday, August 04, 2008

silent on silents

Anyone see a film canister lying around? I had it a moment ago. Here- maybe this light will help!Like some Shelfers, I've read with keen interest the news regarding the recent discovery of the lost footage from the film Metropolis, and the announcement that Kino will release a restored version with the missing footage. I never really commented on it (I guess I am know), mainly because it was pretty much on most of the major sites and there was little for me to add other than: "Alright! Can't wait for the new DVD!" It was one of the first silent movies that I "discovered" in film class. Hey, I didn't know they made stuff besides Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy when I was a pup!

I don't discuss silent films all that often, but I do love them, and love reading about them and pre-talkie Hollywood. It's fascinating stuff. Long-time Shelfers are aware of my love of silent comedies and my favorite silent film of all time: Greed. We have also talked about some other Shelf faves like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Battleship Potemkin and others. So, when news about missing footage, or missing films being found hits the interwebs, I keep an eye on it. Sometimes it's verifiable and solid (as in the case of Metropolis), and other times...well, not so much. You have to adopt a hopeful wait and see approach.

Either way, I was interested in the scuttlebutt hitting the web about one of the most sought after "Lost" films of all time: London After Midnight. The info is suspect, but one can hope- again, wait and see, right? Well, thanks to Ivan at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, I was led to a very thorough article from another blogger concerning the controversy that I believe sums things up nicely. So check out Stacia from She Blogged By Night, for a great article about why we should be careful about such unsubstaniated rumors. This also should serve as an introduction to her blog, which I've enjoyed reading the archives since, and notice that we've linked to her blog in our little neighborhood known as The Shelf Community. Check her blog out, it's good stuff. Groovy design too! You may also notice we've added several links and features to our sidebar. We've added other sites that we've enjoyed lately and think you will too.

And a sidebar on "Lost" films: sometimes we build up what it could be in our minds, because of the fact that we can't see it. Our official postition at the Shelf on L.A.M. is that we hope it will be found, and then restored on DVD. We also hope it lives up to it's reputation. Lon Chaney is one of a kind, after all.

Thurday Update: Stacia at She Blogged By Night has posted a follow up to her earlier post. Apparently, the individual who made the claim to have found L.A.M. and his cohorts have been busy covering their tracks and angrily wagging fingers at those who dare question them. Fortunately, Stacia is taking the exposure in good humor, and brings even more reasoned arguments as to why this fellow seems to be angling for 15 minutes of internet fame...such as it is. Good work Stacia! (Love the blog by the way!)

Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

Then what can it all mean? Mysterious people! Lights! Weird noises! And come... see this!

2 comments:

Stacia said...

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to have found The Shelf, even if it is keeping me up later than it should be!

J.C. Loophole said...

Honored to have you reading Stacia- we love the blog! It's always cool to find a new (to me) favorite!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin