Friday, December 08, 2006

weekly christmas candy review



I know it may seem like we forgot, but I'm here to prove otherwise. So far this month we've had some pressing issues to handle with the review of TCMs Private Screenings and the release and our review of Forbidden Hollywood, and our review of TCMs Holiday Schedule. With those things accomplished, we will proceed with the much ballyhooed weekly Christmas candy review. On the quest to discover new and exciting confections to present, I came to a sad realization: There is very little new candy out at Christmas. Christmas is the time of the repackage. Though it may be shaped our packaged differently, a snickers is still a snickers. Not withstanding this level of difficulty, your very own Wolf (Flywheel, that is) continued to search. What I found was a different version of an old candy newly packaged for Christmas.
I was browsing the candy aisle at the local big chain pharmacy and saw something squeezed between two display boxes. I pulled it out to see what it was and discovered Jolly Ranchers Double Blasts. There were only three of the Santa Claus themed packages and all were tightly tucked away and almost hidden. When I went to purchase my package, the register would not recognize the item. My pimple-faced attendant called for management who quickly arrived at confusion while looking for the products' shelf space and price. I pointed out the remaining two still crammed into the 1inch gap cleverly crafted by one of the overnight stockers and was soon on my way minus $0.99 cents. The package prominently mentions "sour" powder, but prior to opening I felt hard candy inside. Assuming it to be some type of hard candy/powder mutant, I was proved correct when I opened the container via Santa's Dome.
The package peeled open nicely at the skull area and was easily re-sealed on demand while the adhesive properties lasted. Inside were several pieces of almost tootsie roll shaped Jolly Ranchers. They weren't semi-transparent like normal Jolly Ranchers. They were a solid pink individually wrapped in the standard JR wrapper. For the sake of photographic evidence, I cut one in half to show the sour powder portion. After taking the picture, I took one ofthe halves and popped it into my mouth to begin flavor testing. This proved to be unwise as I had not prepared myself for the sour flavor and the exposed powder was the first thing to smack my tastebuds. Sour was the perfect word for this candy. The strawberry flavored hard candy exterior surrounds a cavity filled with the pucker inducing powder. As you can see, this powder was exposed after cutting and once I got a large sampling of it I was stunned for a moment. The hard candy portion had a good flavor and made me think that Jolly Rancher needs to make it a staple in it's line of fruity candy. The powder was strong, which I liked, but if you're thinking of dropping one or two in a stocking this christmas, make sure the young recipient can handle it, or it won't be enjoyed.
I gave one to Wolf Jr. and his insight was simply a puckered face and a quick "mmph" into the trash-can. Next I tried one the way it was meant to be had. I popped the whole piece in and waited. After a little while of strawberry flavor enjoyment, a cavity wore into the candy like it was one of my teeth and the powder all came out at once. It was strong but good and there was enough of the hard candy portion left to enjoy and recover. I believe Jolly Rancher has recently introduced this line and is selling them online in different flavors. The strawberry flavor, I believe, is specific to the ones packaged for the Christmas season. If you enjoy sour candy, this is a good buy. Well, that's the first installment of our Christmas candy review. Stay tuned for the weekly Christmas cartoon and the bevy of holiday posts to come.

Please feel free to comment if the need strikes you.
In America you can go on the air and kid the politicians, and the politicians can go on the air and kid the people.

"Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home! " ~Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers, 1836

1 comment:

Scott said...

You know, this candy review just makes me laugh. In a good way of course. One of the many reasons I love this blog.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin