Tuesday, September 07, 2010

the times, they are a-changin'

Caught sight of the first signs that Fall is indeed around the corner; went into my local Walgreens and saw Halloween candy on display. Now I know a few of you are lamenting: "Wow. Already? Way too early." My youngest son said as much to me over the weekend: "Can't they at least wait til October?" Sure, I understand. Football just arrived, you might say. Some of you might even be complaining that you still wish to hold on to Summer and eek out its last gasp. Back to School is still kind of in session, some of you contend.


Me? Well, you have known me way too long to know that the kid inside me is doing jumping jacks. It was rather inappropriate for me to actually do them in the store, dontcha know. I've never been a huge fan of summer, as far as seasons go, and a long hot summer makes me itch for the cool weather, crisp fallen leaves and the cool husky evenings of fall and everything else that goes with it. And after the summer I've had, I think a little sign that it's almost here, is just what the Doctor ordered. I know you aren't ready, but the kid in me is ready.


So you know what to expect this holiday season here at the Shelf- more candy reviews, fun products, Halloween OTR, classic Halloween films and cartoons. I believe whole-heartedly that we should make Halloween fun and kid friendly again. I know full well the history behind the holiday, but I also know the harvest traditional fun that our early agricultural national culture seemlessly blended with the old world beliefs. Adults have taken over and practically ruined it for kids, not to mention a more dangerous world out there making it even less kid-friendly. So we aim to have some fun, remind you of your Halloween kid-dom and share the fun with all of you. Sure, we'll wait a little while to get going- I mean who wants the overkill. Just consider this "Coming Attractions." We return you now to you regularly scheduled other boring daily stuff.

Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin