Tuesday, October 10, 2006

halloween hoopla



Consider this a Halloween Sampler of sorts. I was going to post this along with the new roundup, but decided this truly warrented it's own post. Roundup, as Wolf indicated below, will be up tomorrow. In the meantime...

I am preparing a post about Old Time Radio Halloween, which will discuss celebrating Halloween with the theater of the mind. As I have been working on it, I've come across several sites and blogs that are great and need to be shared with Shelfers everywhere. Some will be added to the Shelf community in due course. So check them out:

Scar stuff: Downloads of great old LPs and records from back when everyone was a kid. Looking for that Spiderman LP with all the great stories? Got it. Looking for audio for the Fat Albert Halloween special? Got it. How about Vincent Price reading Edgar Allan Poe? Got it. My favorite thus far (besides VP) is the It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown record. It is impossible to not feel like a kid again with this stuff. Scar Stuff is the reason why the internet is one of mankind's single greatest inventions. Thanks, Manbearpig!

Check the Cool Wax: It's almost impossible not to find or read something to like here. Music to read James Bond by? Check. How about Super Spidey stories from the Electric Company? Check. Maybe, an audiobook of Jonny Quest's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Check? Brainwerk's site is as close to an audio museum and archive of coolness as you'll find. It doesn't hurt that he's a Dino fan.

Bubblegum Fink: A repository of pop culture goodness. I have enjoyed the posts, the great Youtube retro tunes. I keep up with DVD news, etc (as you know) and I learned through Bubblegum Fink that the animated Saturday morning show from the 80s, Dungeons and Dragons will be out on DVD just time for Christmas. Thanks for the tip! Besides anyone who likes Groovie Goolies and Frankenberry can't be bad at all.

Lastly, just in time for Halloween-
Forbidden Crypts Of Haunted Music: I can't tell you how excited I was to not only find Disney's Halloween sounds record: Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House but also the Disney audio record of that great Donald Duck Halloween short: Trick or Treat! This instantly took me back to Halloweens of yesteryear when my folks would sit us down in front of The Wonderful World of Disney the Sunday before Halloween when we could watch Disney's Halloween Treat and this great Donald short! I also played the heck out of the Sounds record. You probably had one when you were a kid. Who can forget the ghost sounds, the wind, or the weird Water torture segment? What are you waiting for- go check it out! Dave at Forbidden also has a page of just Disney records. That should be a nice Halloween treat for our friend Laura over at Laura's Musings.

What's that? You need some more Halloween Hoopla? Well this should fit the bill nicely. How about Disney's Trick or Treat courtesy of YouTube? (You'll have to ignore the subtitles). Enjoy!



Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.


Trick or treat. Trick or treat. Trick or treat for Halloween!


2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for a great post -- I'll be checking out the links!

Your Archie talk has stirred up some fun old memories for me too. I only have vague memories of them as comics, but I do remember Saturday mornings... :)

Best wishes, Laura

Dave said...

Thanks for the shout out to my web pages. I'm glad you like them. My Disney "Chilling, Thrilling.." LP was the very first LP I bought with my own money, at the old Woolworth's store. I still have it and many others since, as you can see.
I've kind of drifted away from the individual webpage idea, and now I have a blog here on Blogspot where I post my LPs.
Thanks again!
Dave

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin