Wednesday, February 14, 2007

old school croonin' for valentine's day


Take my advice, pal. If you are trying to really create the romantic atmosphere for the evening, you can't go wrong with a little mood music. And fellas, that means you need to break out the old school crooners. You need to put down that heavy metal, even though it has that wicked cool love ballad about hearts of steel and fire or something. And forget about John Mayer. Just...forget about it. Save the Red Hot Chili Peppers for tomorrow. Tonight is about heart, it's about soul, it's about romance. Show the love of your life that not only do you have class, and a romantic soul, but you also have depth. Break out the old school crooners. The ones who sang the standards. The hip, the cool and the smooth. These were (are) guys who didn't take any crap, could romance the ladies and didn't worry about that "sensitive 90s guy" stuff. These are some of the guys who sing with heart and who sing with soul. No namby, pamby whiney types here. Real men. Real singers. Real music.
So we present to you, in no particular older, the top ten of our favorite singers for creating the romantic mood for your lady on Valentine's Day. We also offer just a suggested song or two, but you can certainly consider many more according to your taste. And guys? Don't forget the flowers and to tell what she means to you. I dedicate this post and these songs to my own valentine: Mrs. Loophole.

As always let us know what you think? Do you have any favorites? Ladies- if you have any other suggestions, please help us out in the comments section.

Let's start with: the Chairman of the Board.




Frank Sinatra:
Any number of songs, really. But you can't go wrong with
The Very Thought of You or The Way You Look Tonight.

Marvin Gaye:
Ahem. Let's Get it On. Do I need to say more?
Ok, how about Sexual Healing?

Lou Rawls
Lady Love and one of the greatest soul ballads:
You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine.

Al Green
Here I Am and Let's Stay Together



The gentleman swinger Tony Bennett
The Shadow Of Your Smile and This Can't Be Love


The incomparable (and personal favorite) Dean Martin
I'll Always Love You and, just for fun:
Ain't That a Kick in the Head



Barry White
Wanna bet how many guys are going to do the lowest voice
they can muster and greet their girl with a "Hey, Baby..."?
I'm Gonna Love You, Just A Little More Baby
Uh huh. Out of sight.
And a couple of guys keeping the tradition alive:


Harry Connick, Jr.
I Only Have Eyes For You
and Charade

Michael Buble
For Once In My Life and How Can You Mend A Broken Heart


And for two of the best Valentine's Day Songs, you have to go with:

Another one of my favorites, Nat King Cole.
My favorite Valentine's Day songs of all time?
Stardust and When I Fall in Love.
All time best romantic songs. Ever. Period.


Gotta comment? Did we miss your favorite? Who sets the mood for you? Let us know by sounding off in the comments section.

Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

Though I dream in vain, in my heart you will remain/My stardust melody/The memory of loves refrain.







2 comments:

Laura said...

Sinatra, Cole, and Martin are...The Best!!

Two of my favorite romantic Sinatra tracks are from his Nice 'n' Easy album: "How Deep is the Ocean?" and "Embraceable You."

Cole: "The More I See You" and "Fly Me to the Moon."

Martin: "I'll Buy That Dream" and "Return to Me"...

Happy Valentine's,
Laura

J.C. Loophole said...

Thanks for your comments, as always, Laura. Hope you had a good Valentine's Day.
Yes- there are so many songs to choose from when it comes Sinatra, Cole, and Dino. I can always put them (and Sammy Davis and Michael Buble and Harry Connick, Jr.) on the CD player and my mood is lifted up!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin