Wednesday, November 04, 2009

around the corner

Yes- Halloween has come and gone, and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. We've lamented here on The Shelf in the past about our modern day efforts to zoom right from Halloween to Christmas and stopping briefly only to pause on Thanksgiving to eat. To some, Thanksgiving has become merely the day before the shopping holiday. Well, I've had it with all of that. Today I publically declare my love for the Thanksgiving holiday. I love not just the opportunity to gather with family and friends, but also what the holiday is supposed to represent.

Yes, I realize that it's perhaps "un-pc" to like Thanksgiving and that there are many exaggerated aspects of the "first Thanksgiving" story, etc. I don't care. I don't care. It doesn't change what is supposed to be the spirit of the holiday. Our nation has declared a "day of Thanksgiving" many times in our past- for various reasons. A national annual Thanksgiving holiday should be even more important for us today. A time to put aside our differences for a day of goodwill and reflection and gratitude is a valuable thing. We should take advantage of it and enjoy it and really be grateful for the things and freedoms we do have.

So this month we will be celebrating Thanksgiving- with fun and food and some serious reflection. You can expect Thanksgiving specials, posts on family and food, Thankgiving culture and history and other assorted Thanksgiving-y stuff.

First up today- a Thanksgiving cartoon special!
Presenting Tex Avery's Jerky Turkey. Enjoy:




Stay tuned for more Thanksgiving fun.

Oh, I know it's a penny here and a penny there, but look at me. I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.

Psst...Hey Junior, ya wanna buy a hot Turkey?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin