Thursday, January 26, 2006

it's all about the "O"

Kiss the hand...


***Brief Note***
This is a brief update to yesterday's post. If you haven't read it, please skip down to yesterday's post first

***We now rejoin our program already in progress***

Well, it seems that Oprah's fans are also upset at her equivication when confronted with Frey's lies. She said today that she now regrets supporting Frey: "I left the impression that the truth is not important," she stated. And in turn confronted Frey by saying "I really feel duped ... but more importantly I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."

Well, well. The cynic in me would remind you that those involved with all this are worried about cash. Oprah, on the other hand, is more concerned about her reputation and at least the integrity of her fan base and/or book club: which in it's simplest form translates to money.

Frey, for his part, apologized and (surprise, surprise) blamed his "demons" for the fraud. I notice that the publisher is not pulling the book anytime soon, and it appears sales have not slowed down. Give it a month- it's too early to tell from sales figures yet. It'll happen. What's significant is that what we discussed yesterday is relevant- but it seems that where Oprah is concern all four points matter. She's not about to let some gloryhound opportunist take her down with him. You kissed the ring finger once, James. Seems like more people are giving you the other one now.

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.


Well, why don't you come and see me some time when you have no class.

3 comments:

Christian Lindke said...

Good combination of posts. I think your analysis of the defender's motivations are spot on.

I recently got into a discussion with the woman at my local bookstore regarding why I was so offended. At first she didn't understand, but as we chatted (I wasn't on a tirade) it began to become clear how my own personal experience shaped my opinions of Frey and company.

J.C. Loophole said...

Number One-
I read your great post and can only say that one of the worst effects, though not at first obvious, of lying is, once exposed it often mocks what the lie was about. Frey's most egregious sin was mocking not so much addiction, but recovery. Those who were motivated by his book or connected to it in some way, may now have that motivation or even hope deflated to a degree. His continuing assertion that the same "demons" that fueled his addictions, also fueled his lies is a slap in the face to those who supported him or even read his book. I hope readers don't feel that their hope in recovery or the human ability to conquer weakness is invalidated. Frey didn't invalidate it- he mocked it. Thanks again for sharing your post with us.

Anonymous said...

Hey J.C. - I wanted to see if I could send you an email regarding a movie I'm doing PR for. It's called "Game6" and it's set against the background of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

Thanks!
john
john@takeoutMarketing.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin