Thursday, January 12, 2006

mmm, mmm, good...




While I am recovering from a bad head cold (darn Pinky and his germs) I thought I might share my home remedy for combating such illness...
Three easy steps.
1. Chicken Noodle Soup ( I prefer Campbell's Creamy Chicken Noodle- but who is quibbling?)
2. Plenty of water, perhaps interspersed with the occasional glass of O.J. or Ginger Ale.
3. Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Vol.3

What's that you say? You've never heard of that last step? Well- I just added it. Oh, Vol.1 & Vol.2 will do as well, but there is something about the particular irreverence of Vol.3 that hits the spot. This one has so many shorts that fans have been waiting for - many of them restored and uncut. (There is even a featurette on the restoration process that WB undertook) Shorts like "Robin Hood Daffy", "Rocket Squad", "A Hare Grows in Brooklyn", " Duck, Rabbit, Duck" (Finally- the last of Chuck Jones "Rabbit Season" trilogy to be collected. Why couldn't they all be in one volume so we could watch back to back? Again, I quibble) "Swooner Crooner", "The Last Hungry Cat" (Oh Yeah- Hitch done all Sylvester and Tweety style) and many many more. The 4 disc set is crammed with more features and goodies than Grandma's cookie jar, so there is plenty to love. Perhaps my favorite unexpected treat is the presence of the wonderfully talented June Foray on the interviews and commentary. Wun'erful, wun'erful. (That' s an oblique Stan Freberg reference there, oh casual purveyor of pop culture.)

So whilist I decontaminate - you may want to pick Vol. 3 up, sick or not, and enjoy to your heart's content. You will notice that it remains the "What's on the Shelf" pick of the week for this week. With good reason. It's that good.


Patience, Shelfers- we shall return next week with more Shelf goodness from Wolf and myself- in the meantime chew on the recent musings of VDH. Review and discuss.


I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.


Ah, conscience, shmonshience! That bird doesn't even enter my mind.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin